Monday, June 27, 2011

Do You Know the World is Beautiful? Part II


After my last post I began praying that God would open my eyes to the beauty around me in Soshanguve, and help me appreciate it.  I began to recognize a lot of beautiful things I normally take for granted.  The beautiful pinks and oranges and reds of the sunset; a clear, starry night sky; a lunar eclipse (ok, that one I don’t normally take for granted, because it’s not a usual event).  While I may not have places where I can spend long peaceful hours outdoors, I am learning to affirm the beauty that God places in front of me every day.

And then there are the small miracles, the beautiful things that happen that remind me that my heart can be touched by a beauty that goes beyond what my eyes take in.  When this little girl:


runs toward me with outstretched arms, my day is instantly better.  When I see a teenage boy who is so eager to grow up—who has written Born To Kill on his arms in marker because apparently that makes him cool—playing gently with a little girl, and then helping her tie her shoe with great affection and tenderness, that is beautiful.  There is a choir of young people at Jabulani (the government-run children’s home where I volunteer).  I got to sit in on one of their practices once, and acapella, a small group of 8-10 teenagers from broken homes filled the room with some of the most beautiful sounds I’ve ever heard.  I’ve never cried just from hearing or seeing something beautiful, but I was holding back the tears then.  Somehow, it reached my soul.  When, time after time, people welcome me into their lives and homes with such warmth and hospitality; when my friends and family here insist that I cannot leave them; I am reminded of the beauty of our unity in Christ despite our differences and the distance that might come between us.

There is a lot of beauty around me that is easy to overlook.  What beauty do you see when you open your eyes?  

2 comments:

  1. Julie, your two posts on "do you know the world is beautiful" were wonderful. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", as the old saying goes. But I too am a nature lover and would miss not seeing it. But you have found other beauty around you as well as God blessing you with the trip. He is so good, and knows what we need. Right now I am in need of much and I'm seeking God and He has and will be there for me. The same is true for you. So good to read your blog! Love you! Joy B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see amazing clouds that trump the towering apartment buildings if I lift my eyes from the sidewalk. Flowers year-round, thriving amidst pollution-filled air. Distant nevados on a clear day, coming down from the finca to the city, before we pass the smogline.
    Thanks for the post.
    :)

    ReplyDelete