Saturday, October 15, 2011

Thoughts on Week 1

I have now been in Canada a week and a day.  Things that have been an adjustment: 

-People driving on the right side of the road.  Every time my dad turns, I feel like we're going to crash into oncoming traffic.  When crossing the street I keep looking for traffic on the wrong side.
-Being unremarkable.  I blend in here!  Toronto is a very diverse city, so actually everybody blends in.  But I haven't had a single man hit on me since I got here.  What's this?!
-Air conditioning.  I went into a grocery store and it was freeeeeeeeeezing.

Things that are nice:

-Mom and dad, and nice people I know here.  People welcoming me back and wanting to know all about my time in South Africa.
-Cinnamon rolls!  And lots of other delicious food.
-Hot showers, any time I want!
-Free pool games.  I'm determined to improve!
-Washing machine and dryer.

Things that are not so nice:

-I miss my friends and family in Sosh.
-Colder weather.  No more summer for Julie.  :(
-Feeling like I live too extravagantly.  I have a whole trunk full of clothes I left behind.  Why do I have so much stuff?!


Just a few random thoughts.  It still hasn't sunk in that this is a change that is going to last a while; I still feel like I'll be back in Soshanguve sometime soon and everything will be the same.

"Through the LORD’s mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not.  They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.  'The LORD is my portion,' says my soul, 'Therefore I hope in Him!'" (Lamentation 3:22-24).        

No comments:

Post a Comment