Monday, November 15, 2010

Why I Believe in Incarnational Ministry, Part I


“What on earth are you doing?” said I to the monkey
when I saw him lift a fish from the water and place it on a tree.
“I’m saving it from drowning,” was the reply.
--Anthony de Mello, The Song of the Bird

Many people asked Petunia what they can do to help the kids she ministers among, and she never knew how to answer.  One day she asked the kids what they wanted.  They didn’t ask for food, or shoes, or toys even.  They said they wanted to learn to speak English well.  When she asked them what they would choose between two pieces of KFC (South Africans loooooove KFC-there’s even one in the township) and English classes, they said they would choose English classes.  Too often people might enter the township, see these kids running around without shoes, and decide to buy them shoes.  But these kids see all their friends around them without shoes, and they are fine.  The thought doesn’t even cross their minds that they should be wearing shoes, and they would regard such a gift as something frivolous and unnecessary.  Why do I believe in incarnational ministry?  Because I think too many organizations come to a community, and without getting to know the people implement programs to address what they perceive are their needs.  When you don’t listen to people articulate their own needs and desires, you run the risk of being like the monkey-having the best intentions but hurting those you intend to help, or at best simply being irrelevant.   
Instead of entering a community, buying a bunch of shoes to give away, and then leaving patting ourselves on the back for having done something for the poor, we are getting to know the community as friends and neighbors.  By living with them, celebrating and suffering with them we earn their trust and learn what it is they really need.  Only then can we begin to address those needs.  While I am sometimes impatient to start implementing amazing programs that will transform the community, I realize that I don’t really know where to start yet.  It is only by learning from my friends and neighbors that I can begin to understand what they do need.
Right now, this means that I must focus on meeting and knowing my neighbors.  It means that I must go to the safehouse for orphans and abused children and just hang out with them and befriend them.  It means that there is value in spending time running around outside with the kids in my neighborhood.  While there may be things I can be doing in the meantime, I believe my primary calling is to simply be here.  Jesus said that if you believe in him, “streams of living water will flow from within.”  If I truly have faith that those streams are flowing, then I must believe that simply living here among the people is, in some small miraculous way, bringing new life to the community; that when they look at me and interact with me they can see Jesus.  In that case, even before participating in any programs or “community development” I am making a difference-I am bringing Jesus to those around me.  I figure if Jesus spent 30 years learning and integrating into a community before beginning ministry, I can take some time to take a posture of learning myself; then see where it will lead.

P.S. That’s not to belittle or undervalue those who feel called to buy the shoes.  There is nothing wrong with wanting to give to the poor-the Bible repeatedly encourages believers to give generously.  What is important is to make sure that your giving addresses real needs.  Thus, the givers and those who work among the poor can work together to make sure the giving is most effective. 

5 comments:

  1. I wish there were a "like" button on blogspot, like there is on facebook. If there were, I would be clicking it right now. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, Julie! Great little picture of what it means to listen to the community.

    You mind if we link to this on our blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure thing Peter! Feel free to link. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great blog, Julie. Have you read, "When Helping Hurts" -- how to alleviate poverty without hurting the poor and yourself, by Steve Corbett and Brian Fikkert? Talks about helping the entire person, not just a "need," be it physical, material, etc. Glad you are where you are and doing what you are doing! God bless you in every way! --Joy Brougher

    ReplyDelete